Thursday 16 July 2009

Hitchin Lavender ~ 薰衣草之旅

Walking up the field by Sei-Him Cheong.

This week I went to Hitchin Lavender Field with Julian & my siblings.
Again, with my brother Cheong & sisters Kelly (shown in the picture) & Jen, it looked like we're having a photograph session.
This was the main purpose of Kelly to bring Cheong so he can be the camera man...
Cheong did take some great pictures with my sisters who love to be photographed.
Well, I don't like to be photographed cos I feel & act strange when a camera is pointing at me.
So, there's no photo of me, haha ^___^

My favourite picture of my sister, Kelly in the field by Sei-Him Cheong.

Had to pay in order to get into the field so we got scissors & bags for lavender.
Although the staff at the shop said there're 5 different species, I only saw 3.
Maybe I saw all of them but I couldn't recognize...

There were lots of bees on the fields.
The most scary part was the first step into the field, many bees were surrounding us.
Of course, they were too busy working with lavenders.
Once I got used to the flying bees, I started to enjoy myself with the sight & lavender picking.

The red among the violet '紫原一點紅' by Sei-Him Cheong.

There're horses in the farm too.
So before heading back to the shop, I went to feed one of the horses.
At first, it ignored me & then I finally fed it with some grasses.
I think it's the 1st time I was so closed to a horse.

Horse in the farm by Sei-Him Cheong

There is a small shop, coffee & tea are served there.
But we didn't stay for a drink.
There're pots of lavender for sale & I saw 5 different species there.



There're also some lotions, soaps, essential oils etc.
I was quite surprised they didn't have any lavender cake or biscuit.
I've baked lavender cookies before & I thought it's quite common to use lavender in cooking & baking.
I did baked a lavender butter cake the day after, but I wasn't satisfied with the taste...
So, I didn't take a photo of it & included the recipe with this post.

I still have bunches of lavender & I don't know what to do with them.
But I think 1st thing to do is to sun dry them.
Then, I'll explode ways to use them.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Yue!

    Love the column - would we be able to use any of Cheongs photos (we would obviously credit him) for the hithin lavender website/blog.

    We do indeed crop 5 varieties (Grosso, Folgate, Maillette, Ashdown Forest and Lullingstone Castle)

    Take care and next time stop for that cup of tea!!!

    Tim Hunter

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails