Wednesday 26 May 2010

Osmanthus & Apple Loaf Cake


Have been thinking of using the osmanthus flowers my sister brought me from Taiwan.
I love apple, when using it in bakery, it always comes with cinnamon.
So, when I first saw the recipe of osmanthus apple cake months ago, I quickly kept it & had been excited to try it out.
I could smell the cinnamon & osmanthus, the cinnamon doesn't overtake osmanthus but blends nicely to create a subtle, delicate & floral scent.
The cake is light, soft & moist with a crispy surface.
I love it!
It will be a new addition to my breakfast menu.





Recipe:
adapted from here (Chinese)


150g unsalted butter
3 eggs
125g + 15g sugar
250g plain flour
50g corn flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp soda
3 apples
2 tbsp dried osmanthus
1/4 tsp cinnamon
80ml milk

Mix & sieve all the flours.
Warm the milk then infuse with osmanthus.
Peel & slice the apples, reserve slices of one apple for cake topping.
In a cooking pan, cook the apples with 15g of sugar & cinnamon until soft, then pour in the osmanthus milk & leave to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk butter with sugar until pale & fluffy.
Add one egg at a time & whisk to combine.
Blend with the flours, then the apple batter.
Fill in the pan & put the apple slices on  the top.
Bake at 180'C for 45 - 60 min.


Variation:
You can substitute osmanthus with jasmine.

3 comments:

  1. This looks truly lovely - I wonder if it would be good with elderflower, osthmanthus, and chamomile?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails