Monday 23 May 2011

Summer & Elderflowers

Last week was warm & sunny.
I went for a walk with my friend at Hampstead Heath & wandered up to Parliament Hill, where you can overlook London.
On a sunny day, parks are always packed with people, sitting out to read or having a picnic.

 Just before going to the park, I've noticed there're blooming elderflowers everywhere around the place I live.
On one afternoon, I decided to go out & make this lovely, floral & refreshing elderflower cordial.
It's very simple to make but I was absolutely amazed by the taste, it's delicious.
It's time to go out & pick some elderflowers.
I'm thinking of making elderflower champagne next time.
Recipe (make ~2.25 L):
25-30 elderflower heads
1.5 kg granulated sugar
2 unwaxed lemons, sliced
1.2 L water
50 g citric acid

Gently wash & shake to dispel any insects & water, remove the larger stems.
Combine with lemons in a large bowl.
Bring water to boil & dissolve the sugar, pour over the elderflower & lemon.
Careful stir in the citric acid, cover with cling film & leave to infuse overnight at room temperature.
On the next day, strain through a fine sieve lined with muslin & pour into clean & sterilised bottles & seal.
Stored in a cool & dark place.
To serve, dilute 1 part with 4-5 part of still or sparkling water.

3 comments:

  1. I once tried elderflower wine and did not enjoy it very much. It just tasted too...flowery! I like how you combined them with lemons, too- I might have to give this a try and see if I can't change my opinion on elderflower drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it last year and it tasted really good!
    http://villa-alps.blogspot.com/2010/07/yesterday-i-had-small-food-factory-at.html
    I have picked a lot of flowers and freezed them. In such way I could enjoy elderflower cordial all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on.
    If you want to learn more about https://theelectricblender.com/veggie-bullet-reviews/, you can visit now

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails