Wednesday 1 June 2011

'Surprise' Apple Loaf Cake

I'd have a lovely weekend & I'd spent most times in food & baking.
My plan for the weekend was to work as the deadline of my assignment is soon.
I was feeling lazy & it was weekend after all.

I love apples & so most of my recipes posted here are about apples, so does chocolate.
Here come another apple cake but it's no ordinary cake.
Take a first look outside, mmm... buttter cake.

Look again, there are apples inside!
I love the idea of baking the cake with the whole apples in it.
The recipe is from one of the books I bought from Shenzhen.
The book includes butter cakes only, half of it is about savoury butter cakes which aren't really my type.
After the success of this lovely butter cake, I might give it a try.
It was bright & sunny in the morning when I took the photos.
I set up a table in the front garden & took all the photos there.
Great lighting & the photos look good, I should take more food photos in the garden.
People passing by might wonder what am I doing... If you see a girl shooting cakes in the front garden, that might be me.

'Surprise' Apple Loaf Cake
Recipe (loaf cake):
adapted from 'Fall in Love with Cakes'爱上蛋糕:我的甜蜜烘焙)
Sweet Apples
3 small/medium apples
20 g sugar
20 g unsalted butter
3 dried prunes
1 tbsp rum
1 tbsp elderflower cordial (optional)
3 cinnamon sticks

Blend rum & prunes in a small bowl, set aside.
Wash & prick apples with fork, use a spoon to remove the core.
Combine sugar, melted butter & cordial, spoon into the apples.
Place apples in a microwave-proof bowl, cover with cling film & heat in a microwave at medium power for 10 min.
Once cool, put one prune inside each apple followed by a cinnamon stick.

Cake
100 g unsalted butter
60 g sugar
2 eggs
120 g plain flour
3 sweet apples
4 tbsp apple syrup from above

Line the loaf cake pan with baking paper.
In a large bowl, whisk softened butter with sugar until pale & fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth.
Sieve in the flour, mix to combine.
Pour in the apple syrup & mix until smooth.
Pour in 1/3 of the batter, flatten the surface then put in the sweet apples.
Cover the apples & fill in the gap with remaining batter.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10 min, lower to 170C & bake for 20 min.
Remove from the oven, brush some rum over the cake & leave to cool on a wire rack.

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I take food photos for my blog outside, too! I live in an apartment and usually wear my bright blue pajamas (with little neon pink hearts on the pants), have messy hair, no make-up, so I think my neighbours must think I am CRAZY for being outside with a camera and a slice of cake in the morning.

    Anyways, I love your photos and recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, and such a stunning cake. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Christine,

    The lighting is great in the morning, so I guess I'll be joining you & take photos in my pyjamas!


    To Eva,

    Thanks for stopping by & leaving lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookmarked your blog. :) very lovely pics and presentation. Got to try your recipes out in my free time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Your pictures are gorgeous...and absolutely love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to make such a great informative site.
    Also see my webpage :: direct download movies

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article!!!
    If you want to learn more about vegetable chopper, you can visit now

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails